The genesis of RPG Battles was to make the Pathfinder Roleplaying game more accessible to people new to roleplaying. And we’ve been working hard at that.
But it became apparent during our first playtests of RPG Battles: The Board Game, that the world needed an even easier way to fall in love with roleplaying. So we invented RPG Battles: The Card Game.
RPG Battles: The Card Game is flat-out the easiest roleplaying game you will ever meet.
- You can learn the rules in less than five minutes
- You can play with as few as 2 players or as many as 6
- Your game will last 15-30 minutes
A Cards, Dice, and Strategy Game is Born
RPG Battles: The Card Game offers players the opportunity to play the role of one of six different character classes that are based on the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Each player may select from:
- The Fighter
- The Ranger
- The Rogue
- The Sorceress
- The Monk
- The Paladin
Once your adventuring party is formed, it’s time to begin! As a player, it’s your job to equip your character with the weapons, armor, and magic that will allow you to be the last player standing. You’ll learn the basics about such roleplaying concepts as:
- Armor class: this determines how hard it is for monsters to hit your character and deal damage
- Hit points: this is your character’s health. Once you lose all your health, your character is dead and you’re out of the game.
Each Character Class has a special ability that is unique. It’s up to you as the Player to strategically use your Character’s abilities, in combination with the cards in your hand, to fight monsters and be the last Character to survive.
- Charge: when the Fighter goes first in the Initiative order, the Fighter may Charge and gain a +2 bonus to his first attack only.
- Stunning Fist: once per battle, when the Monk scores a successful hit, the Monk’s Stunning Fist stuns the Monster, preventing its next attack.
- Lay on Hands: once per game, the Paladin may Lay on Hands, healing one hit point of damage to themself or another Player.
- Scouting: the Ranger has a +2 bonus due to his Scouting ability, which increases his Initiative roll.
- Steal: once per game, the Rogue may steal a random card from one Player’s hand.
- Magic Missile: once per battle, the Sorceress may automatically hit a Monster using her Magic Missile attack for one hit point of damage.
Selecting the Character that best matches your play style is a great way to leverage each Character’s special ability.
Play testing of RPG Battles: The Card Game is well under way. We’re eternally grateful to those who took the time to play the game and provide us with feedback. Early feedback helps us revise the rules and improve the game before we launch our Kickstarter.
And we’ve already made changes to the game based on playtesting feedback:
- We introduced Special Abilities for each Character class
- We changed the base statistics for each Character class so they each have unique stat blocks
- We added a new Monster to the battle deck: the Ghoul
- We gave Special Abilities to selected Monsters
We are super-excited with these improvements and are gearing up for our Kickstarter to introduce RPG Battles: The Card Game to the world. Remember to subscribe to our newsletter for updates as we charge toward the launch this Fall.